People frequently ask how much will a bathroom renovation cost and whether if it’s better to do a partial renovation or to gut it. For this article, we will work with the costs associated with renovating an existing 5′x7′ bathroom. With the exception of newer bathrooms (5-7 years old), usually, nothing can be salvaged. Gutting the full bathroom and replacing all is normally the most efficient approach. This also ensures that by beginning the bathroom renovation project from scratch, all electrical and plumbing will be updated, avoiding nasty surprises a few months (or years) down the road that can mess up your brand new bathroom.
Full replacement bathroom renovation projects usually start at around $18,000, and average approximately $22,000.
Describing the Bathroom Renovation Project
Below is a bathroom renovation estimate by a full service home renovations company. The project normally includes:
- Removal of existing 5′ x 7′ bathroom and complete demolition
- Framing for floor replacement and shower walls
- Plumbing for toilet, vanity sink and alcove tub
- Electrical for fan light, vanity light and GFCI outlet
- Insulation and drywall
- Tile flooring and shower surround (12×12′ floor with 4×6′ ceramic wall)
- Vanity cabinet and solid counters
- Installation of all bathroom accessories and fixtures
Cost Breakdown for Bathroom Renovation (all amounts in Canadian Dollars)
|Millwork & Trim|
Other Possible Costs to Consider
There are other items that could add to the cost of the renovation. These items are in addition to the basic bathroom renovation project described above. These additional items include:
- Higher end bathroom fixtures
- Changes to additional plumbing like drain pipes and water supplies
- Hand held showers and body spays
- Replacing doors
- Replacing windows
- Adding a glass shower door
- Additional tile costs
- Changes to heating / adding special insulation
- Adding in-floor heating, etc.
Now you have a sample bathroom renovation quote, based on basic specifications. Actual costs will vary greatly depending on many factors, however, this is an example of a typical reno.
Interested in having your bathroom renovated? Contact us to get an exact estimate for your bathroom.